If you look in your vehicle owner’s manual, it will suggest how often you should get your oil changed- usually around every 3,000 to 5,000 miles- but what it doesn’t tell you is why.
Oil changes are time-consuming and they cost money, so, many find having them done regularly to be an inconvenience. Especially those who drive frequently. Often, people will put off their oil change for as long as they can. In fact, in a recent study, the Car Care Council found that 22 percent of vehicles have low or dirty engine oil.
Making sure you change your oil regularly -and on the right schedule- is crucial to the well-being and longevity of your vehicle. And, though oil changes cost money, as far as automotive services go, they are relatively inexpensive. In the long run, regular oil changes save you money. You spend a little now to save a lot later.
Your engine is made up of numerous moving parts. In order to avoid being damaged, these parts are meant to be lubricated by engine oil. As you use your vehicle, the oil breaks down and ends up becoming contaminated with dirt and debris from both the environment and your engine. When this happens, the oil becomes ineffective.
These are our top reasons engine oil and oil filter changes are so important to your vehicle’s performance and longevity.
- Oil changes ensure that the engine remains properly lubricated. There are many parts that move at high rates of speed under the hood of your vehicle. When these parts move, they create friction. Without the proper lubrication, these parts will rub together and eventually wear down, which could cause expensive engine damage. Refer to your vehicle owner’s manual and keep your oil filled to its recommended volume at all times. Also, make sure that you are using the appropriate grade for your specific vehicle make and model.
- Oil changes help cool your vehicle’s engine. We mentioned above that the moving parts of your engine create friction. When they do this, they are also creating heat. Regular oil changes make sure the oil in the engine is not only clean but ample as well- preventing too much friction and keeping the engine from over-heating.
- Oil changes help to keep the engine clean. Dirt is extremely damaging to engines. If left unattended, dirt in the engine can lead to corrosion- shortening the life of your engine. And, over time, engine oil breaks down, turning into a sort of “sludge” and making it difficult to effectively lubricate the engine. Routinely changing your engine oil and oil filter will help keep your engine dirt and sludge free- helping to keep it in optimal working condition.
- Oil changes improve your gas mileage. According to the S. Department of Energy, routine oil changes with the right kind of oil can improve gas mileage over time by one to two percent. That is equal to a savings of around a gallon of gas a year. Which may not sound like a lot, but it all adds up in the long run!
- Oil changes promote vehicle longevity. Simply put, regular vehicle maintenance ensures that your vehicle lasts longer. Dirty oil steals power from your vehicle and makes the engine work harder. When it works too hard, the engine could wind up with more serious problems and a shorter lifespan. As a bonus, Kelley Blue Book states that regular maintenance increases your resale value.
Regular oil changes may be an inconvenience, but they are vital to the well-being and durability of your vehicle. If it’s time to schedule your next oil change, call on the experts at Accurate Service. We offer the best automotive services in Tucson, AZ, at the best price. Call us at (520) 622-7685 or schedule an appointment online.